4.3.08

Baptism in the Negev

While other parts of the Negev are suffering under rocket attacks and our soldiers fight out militants in Gaza, here is a little bit of happiness from the Negev highlands...

It's not every day that someone can be baptised in the streams of the desert!
Not every day that one can be baptised in the Ramat HaNegev desert, in one of the pools that would probably be dried and gone by the end of this week!

What a blessing for our little congregation to fellowship out at the Anitani farm (the place/vision picked for a farm/community in the desert) AND not only fellowship but also be there to witness our sweet Eritrean sister, Adiam, be baptised - the first for Kehilat Sde Boker.
Here you can see some of the kids had stripped down to enjoy the water too.
I noticed a herd of goats and Bedouin had passed through just before...
There was even green banks from the odd patches of grass .

Adiam, shining and glowing - a woman with an interesting
background - growing up in a forest
and tales of government oppressions.

Baruch and Adiam.

Praying over her after she resurfaced.
Karen and Adiam laughing - Karen says she always cries at weddings and baptisms!Mary with Axsella (Adiams daughter) , Karen and Adiam.
The most peaceful picture.
Do you know how much I LOVE THIS NEGEV???????????

Afterwards we ate... the potjie was bubbling away while we were busy baptising!
Potjies have become really popular in Israel.
They spell it POYKE!
I made a veg and red lentil curry and Mike and Mary a bean potjie.
Baruch decided that a photo of the red lentil potjie would be a great for his painting he is busy with now, Jacob and Esau and the birthright.... sold for a lentil stew.Margaret made "Gapattis" (spell?) Tanzanian thick, panfried pancakes that are great for swishing around in the potjie sauce and filling.

And La-Lee - her summer top from Aunty Bev.
A warm day was her excuse to wear it that Shabbat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I linked to your blog from your sister's. Lovely pictures on this post. And I really like the photo for the banner of your blog. May God bless you and the work that you do!

Kel said...

Thank you! I need to change it sometime to add our 5th there! But will keep it similar.
Blessings.

Sally said...

How I long to be there with you. May it be soon Lord! love mum